A MedTech CDMO is a company that serves other companies in the medical device industry on contract basis and provides comprehensive services ranging from design & development, prototyping, tooling, component manufacturing, assembly, packaging, labelling, sterilization and other services.
Market - Headwinds & Tailwinds
The global MedTech CDMO market is mainly driven by cost savings offered by MedTech CDMOs as compared to in-house manufacturing of medical device original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). Technological capabilities, scalability and risk diversification are other key factors driving the MedTech CDMO market.
Increasing prevalence of chronic & infectious diseases, growing geriatric population, growing consolidation - mergers & acquisition, technological advancements, convergence of technology platforms and rising investments are some of the other influencing factors that are augmenting the demand of MedTech contract manufacturing. However, trend of retaining high-value and IP-sensitive technologies in-house by MedTech OEMs, defective device recalls and stringent regulatory framework are likely to hinder the growth of the market to a certain extent.
Market Segmentation & Insights
The global MedTech CDMO market has been analyzed from two main perspectives: Application and Region.
MedTech CDMO Market by Application
Based on application, the MedTech CDMO market has been segmented into drug delivery & fluid management, cardiovascular, orthopedics, in-vitro diagnostics, surgery devices, respiratory care, medical imaging and others. The drug delivery & fluid management holds the largest share in the market. Drug delivery devices include devices such as syringes, self-injectors & inhalers and fluid management systems include dialysis and infusion solutions and catheters. The growth of the segment can be mainly attributed to rising prevalence of diabetes, increasing availability of self-administered drugs requiring specialized delivery devices and increasing collaboration among biopharmaceutical companies and CDMOs to develop innovative designs to improve therapeutic compliance.
MedTech CDMO Market by Region
Based on region, the global MedTech CDMO market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World (ROW). North America dominated the MedTech CDMO market, followed by Asia Pacific. The large share of North America in the global market can largely be attributed to the developed healthcare infrastructure, rising investment in R&D, presence of prominent medical device and MedTech CDMO players and rising adoption of MedTech contract manufacturing as a cost-cutting measure.
The MedTech CDMO market is marked by presence of prominent players such as Jabil, Flex, Integer, Vivify Health, Gerresheimer, Idex Corporation, Philips Medisize/Molex, Viant, Tecomet, TE Connectivity, Plexus, Tegra Medical, Confluent Medical Technologies, Seisa Medical, Celestica, Plexus, Nolato, Nemera, Lisi Medical, RTI Surgical, Heraeus Medical Components, Nordson Medical, Resonetics, Norwood Medical, Flambeau Medical Markets Group, Freudenberg Medical, Cadence, KLINGEL medical metal GmbH, Elos MedTech, Sanmina Corporation, among others.
Snapshot: Industry Developments
• In Jul 2021, TA Associates, a global growth private equity firm completed a majority growth investment in Elos MedTech AB, a full-service contract development and manufacturing organization in the global medical device market.
• In Jun 2021, Arcline Investment Management ("Arcline"), a private equity firm, acquired a controlling stake in Resolution Medical, LLC, an end-to-end contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) focused on complex, rapidly growing medical technology segments, including structural heart, neuromodulation, heart failure, electrophysiology, oncology, and ENT
• In Jan 2021, Hukui Bio raised US$5.5 million in Series C funding, led by Yellowstone Holding AG from Switzerland for U.S. and Europe market expansion
• In Mar 2020, SHL Medical, a pioneer and technology frontrunner in the self-injection industry acquired Weibel CDS, a medical technology company offering products and solutions for drug delivery and novel packaging
• In Feb 2020, Heraeus Medical Components announced its acquisition of Contract Medical International (CMI) with an aim to extend its interventional device capabilities through CMI’s technology and competence in the design, development and integration of minimally-invasive medical device systems
• In Nov 2020, Carlisle Companies Incorporated acquired Providien LLC, a leading provider of comprehensive manufacturing solutions for global medical device OEMs, including: thermoforming, medical device contract manufacturing, precision machining & metals, and medical injection molding
• In May 2018, NN, Inc., announced acquisition of Paragon Medical, Inc., a medical device manufacturer which focuses on the orthopedic, case and tray, implant and instrument markets
• In Mar 2017, Permira, a global private equity firm, signed a definitive agreement to acquire Lyophilization Services of New England Inc (LSNE), a contract development and manufacturing organization for the pharmaceutical and medical device markets
Key Insights Captured in the Report
• Quantitative (market size and forecasts) and qualitative insights of the market across years - historical years, current year and forecasted years
• Deep-rooted insights on headwinds, tailwinds and opportunities prevailing in the market
• Quantitative (market size and forecasts) and qualitative insights at segment and sub-segment level
• Comprehensive quantitative (market size and forecasts) and qualitative insights on geographic, regional and country level markets
• Granular insights on the competitive landscape prevailing in the market
• Competitive mapping of strategic developments
|Market Size Period||2018-2031|
|Market Segments||Asessment of Medtech CDMO Market By:
|Geographic Scope||• North America
◦ Rest of Europe (RoE)
• Asia Pacific
◦ Rest of Asia Pacific (RoAPAC)
• Rest of the World
◦ Latin America
◦ Middle East & Africa
|Companies Covered||Jabil, Flex, Integer, Vivify Health, Gerresheimer, Idex Corporation, Philips Medisize/Molex, Viant, Tecomet, TE Connectivity, Plexus, Tegra Medical, Confluent Medical Technologies, Seisa Medical, Celestica, Plexus, Nolato, Nemera, Lisi Medical, RTI Surgical, Heraeus Medical Components, Nordson Medical, Resonetics, Norwood Medical, Flambeau Medical Markets Group, Freudenberg Medical, Cadence, KLINGEL medical metal GmbH, Elos Medtech, Sanmina Corporation, among others.|
1 RESEARCH ENVELOPE
1.1 Market Classification
1.2 Scope of the Study
1.2.1 Timeline Considered for Market Study
• Historic Years – 2018 & 2019
• Base Year – 2020
• Projected Years – 2021 to 2031
1.3 Currency Used in the Report
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1 Research Approach
2.2 Data Collection Methodology
2.3 Data Sources
2.3.1 Secondary Sources
2.3.2 Primary Sources
2.4 Market Crackdown Methodology
2.4.1 Bottom-Up Approach
2.4.2 Top-Down Approach
2.5 Data Forecasting Model
2.6 Limitations and Assumptions for Study
3 HEADWINDS & TAILWINDS ASSESSMENT
4 PREMIUM INSIGHTS
4.1 Key Market Trends
4.2 Key Players & Their Competitive Positioning (2020)
4.3 COVID-19 Impact Assessment
4.4 Penetration Assessment: MedTech CDMOs
4.5 MedTech CDMOs: Value Chain Assessment
4.6 Key Technologies: Snapshot
4.7 Geographic Footprint Assessment
5 GLOBAL MEDTECH CDMO MARKET - ANALYSIS & FORECAST, BY APPLICATION
5.1 Drug Delivery & Fluid Management
5.4 In-Vitro Diagnostics
5.5 Surgery Devices
5.6 Respiratory Care
5.7 Medical Imaging
6 GLOBAL MEDTECH CDMO MARKET - ANALYSIS & FORECAST, BY REGION
6.1 North America
6.3 Asia Pacific
6.4 Rest of the World (RoW)
7 PLAYERS ANALYZED
7.4 Vivify Health
7.6 Idex Corporation
7.7 Philips Medisize/Molex
7.10 TE Connectivity
7.12 Tegra Medical
7.13 Confluent Medical Technologies
7.14 Seisa Medical
7.18 Lisi Medical
7.19 RTI Surgical
7.20 Heraeus Medical Components
7.21 Nordson Medical
7.23 Norwood Medical
7.24 Flambeau Medical Markets Group
7.25 Freudenberg Medical
7.27 KLINGEL medical metal GmbH
7.28 Elos Medtech
7.29 Sanmina Corporation
7.30 Other Prominent (Mid-size and Small) Players
3D printing also known as additive manufacturing is a process of making three dimensional solid objects from a CAD model or a digital 3D model. The term "3D printing" can refer to a variety of proc...
Hemophilia is a rare inherited bleeding disorder in which the blood does not clot properly which leads to spontaneous bleeding as well as bleeding following injuries or surgery. Blood contains prot...
The term halal is particularly associated with Islamic dietary laws and especially meat processed & prepared in accordance with those requirements. Halal is an Arabic word that means permissible. H...
Urinalysis is a test & analysis of urine to detect and manage a wide range of disorders, namely urinary tract infections, kidney disease and diabetes, among others. It includes a group of physical,...
Allergy is an exaggerated reaction by the immune system in response to exposure to certain foreign substances. These foreign substances are called as allergens and includes pollens, dust mites, mol...
Micro-catheters are a broad term, often used to describe thin wall, small diameter catheters and delivery devices used in minimally invasive applications. Its small build makes it ideal for navigat...
Remote patient monitoring (RPM) is a subset of telehealth. It is a technology that enables monitoring of patients outside of conventional clinical settings.
Femtech is a term applied to a category of software, diagnostics, products and services that focus on women's health.
Telehealth is a broader array of digital healthcare activities & services and can be defined as distribution of health-related services & information including medical care, provider & patient educ...
Sleep apnea is a condition where breathing is interrupted during sleep. It is considered a serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts.
A MedTech CDMO is a company that serves other companies in the medical device industry on contract basis and provides comprehensive services ranging from design & development, prototyping, tooling,...
Wearable medical devices are electronic devices that are designed to collect the data of users' personal health and exercise. It offers a convenient means of monitoring many physiological features,...
A contract research organization (CRO) also known as a clinical research organization, is an organization that provides services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies.
Cell and gene therapy (CGT) companies partner with CGT CDMOs to get support on discovery, preclinical, clinical stages, CGT product development, manufacturing, and commercial manufacturing.